!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Streamline Training & Documentation: Byzantine Affairs

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Byzantine Affairs

Over the last couple of years, I've been trying intermittently to fill a gap in my education. Like most Americans, I learned very little about Asia Minor (modern Turkey) and the Middle East in school.

Now, as an adult, I've been able to visit Turkey twice, very briefly, and I've read several books on the history of the Arab world. Last month I listened to Prof. Kenneth Harl's series of lectures on the "Great Ancient Civilizations of Asia Minor," put out by The Teaching Company, and just today I finished The Wanderer, a novel by the Finnish writer Mika Waltari (translated by Naomi Walford) set in the time of Suleiman the Magnificent.

One thing I haven't done yet, because I didn't know about it until reading today's New York Times, is check out podcasts on "12 Byzantine Rulers," created by Lars Brownworth, a history teacher at the Stony Book School in New York. Thanks to the miracles of downloading and subscription, I will shortly be starting to listen to the thirteen podcasts Mr. Brownworth has already recorded, and I'm looking forward to the receiving in due course the remaining four he has promised.

###

Labels: